Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Potatoes are a very popular food stuffed with phytonutrients - carotenoids, flavonoids and caffeic acid, which are thought to promote health. The vitamin C in potatoes also acts as an antioxidant.
In contrary to the common belief that potatoes make people fat, studies have claimed that eating potatoes could actually help in losing weight if they are prepared in a healthy manner.
Though potatoes are a high-carbohydrate food, eating them in moderate quantities won't make you fatter.
Much of the world's population make potatoes as a staple dietary item owing to their immense health benefits.
Here are some amazing health benefits of this popular food:
- Potatoes help maintain healthy blood pressure because they are loaded with kukoa-mines (plant chemicals that help lower blood pressure).
- Aid in digestion due to their high fiber content.
- Prevent heart disease as potatoes also contain carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin), which are beneficial for heart health and the functioning of other internal organs.
- Potatoes contain vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous which are all essential nutrient for a healthy skin.
- Boost immunity due to their high vitamin C content.
- Contain high levels of flavonoid antioxidants which are credited with protecting against many types of cancer.