Chinese military on high alert over North Korean threat
China has put military forces on high alert in the northeastern part of the country, as tensions mount on the Korean peninsula following recent threats by Pyongyang to attack, U.S. officials have said.
The move also comes specifically after North Korea`s declaration of a `state of war` and threats to conduct missile attacks against the United States and South Korea.
Officials said the PLA has stepped up military mobilization in the border region with North Korea since mid-March, including troop movements and warplane activity, the Washington Times reports.
According to the report, China`s navy also conducted live-firing naval drills by warships in the Yellow Sea that were set to end on Monday near the Korean peninsula, in apparent support of North Korea, which was angered by ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills that are set to continue throughout April.
North Korea, meanwhile, is mobilizing missile forces, including road-mobile short- and medium-range missiles, according to officials familiar with satellite imagery of missile bases.
North Korea`s government announced last week that since March 26 its missile and artillery forces have been placed on the highest alert status, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family