Giving asylum to Assange ‘could discredit Ecuador in US`
Quito (Ecuador): Ecuador’s envoy to the United States has said that granting political asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could be used to discredit Quito in Washington.
“Giving asylum to Assange would be used as ammunition to attack the country,” Nathalie Cely said in an interview with Radio Majestad.
Assange is currently holed up in Ecuador embassy in London, seeking political asylum to avoid being extradited to Sweden, where is wanted for questioning over rape charges.
According to The Telegraph, Cely said salvos already have been launched by pressure groups seeking to ‘disparage her country in the eyes of US business leaders and policymakers.’
She stressed that, recriminations against Quito for sheltering Assange ‘already have begun.’
Cely said her government remained "ready as ever to defend our position and our decisions," without providing any clues as to when Ecuador might make its decision on Assange’s fate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok