Useful tips to prevent lifestyle diseases!
Following certain guidelines can help prevent or cut down your risk of getting lifestyle diseases.
Zee Media Bureau
Lifestyle diseases such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, obesity, chronic liver disease or cirrhosis, chronic renal failuire, depression are on the rise, particularly among young people across the world, including India, resulting in an increase in incidents of deaths in the country.
Earlier, research revealed that with increasing prevalence of life-style diseases in the country, one out of four Indians is at risk of dying from diabetes, cardio-vascular ailments or cancer before the age of 70.
But, following certain guidelines such as eating well, exercising and not smoking can help prevent or cut down your risk of getting lifestyle diseases.
Follow these simple tips:
- Start with a diet based on fruits, vegetables, nuts, wholegrain, seafood, fat-free or low-fat diary products.
- Avoid trans fats, found in many foods including fried stuffs.
- Avoid sugar-added beverages, which are the most fattening aspect of modern diet.
- Drink lots of water to flush out toxins from the body as well as to keep the body hydrated.
- Never skip meal.
- Exercise regularly – at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week. Even a 15 minutes of daily brisk walk will do a lot for you.
- Avoid smoking or drinking as both are dangerous and the biggest enemies of a healthy being.
- Get adequate sleep of about 6-8 hours daily.
- Maintain a correct posture while sitting in an office chair or when working at home.