Amputee model Aimee Mullins becomes International face of L’Oreal
Sydney: Bilateral amputee Aimee Mullins was introduced by L’Oreal as one of its latest “I’m worth it” campaign faces at the Melbourne Fashion Festival. The 35-year-old model, who had both her legs amputated when she was year old, joined the Australian ambassador Megan Gale at the VIP luncheon that kicked off the Fashion Festival.
“Remember, I’m hauling around an 80 pound bag of legs everywhere I go,” a leading daily has quoted her as saying.
At the event, Mullins concealed her legs in a sleek black Alexander McQueen slack suit. She was a close friend and muse for the British designer, who stunned the fashion world — including many at the lunch — two years ago by taking his own life.
“I miss him. He was beautiful, romantic, a soft, gooey pudding,” she said.
Mullins walked for the maverick McQueen in 1999 and is said to have inspired some of his work. She described an extraordinary life, barely troubled by the amputation of both legs at the age of one because of a condition called hemimelia, or missing fibula bones.
“My parents let me experience the world as it is. At eight, I had prosthetic legs so good at being waterproof, they were buoyant. I’d go off the high dive at the community pool and come straight up, legs first!” she said.
L’Oreal closed the unusual lunch with a “taster” of fashions by seven top designers – White Suede, Morrison, Aurelio Costarella, Megan Park, Gorman, Magdalena Velevska and Ginger and Smart.
They represent brands now preparing for the festival’s highlight Paris Runway show series beginning tomorrow night. The series’ huge Peninsula venue on Central Pier, Docklands, is an exotic setting for almost 80 winter collections, including the silky, glamorous gowns of designer Gwendolynne Burkin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anonymity on Twitter giving people power to misbehave: Swara Bhaskar
- Naam Shabana: Akshay Kumar enjoys special screening with female police officers
- People find it difficult to accept TV stars in bold roles: Nia Sharma
- Non-bailable warrant issued against Mamta Kulkarni, Vicky Goswami
- Parineeti Chopra makes spectacular singing debut with 'Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahin' from 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'! - Watch
- Kriti Sanon looks fab on Vogue cover!
- Twinkle Khanna gets a hair makeover and we are crushing on it!
- Shahid Kapoor flaunts his six-pack abs on latest Filmfare cover!
- Alia Bhatt looks ethereal wearing Sabyasachi creation for Harper's Bazaar cover!
- Vaani Kapoor's mysterious act for Rina Dhaka stops time at AIFW