17 injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire
Srikakulam: At least 17 workers were on Saturday injured, five of them seriously, in a major fire that broke out reportedly following a blast at the Nagarjuna Agrichem plant in Andhra Pradesh`s Srikakulam district, police said.
"As per the initial reports there was a cylinder blast which triggered the blaze", Srikakulam Dy SP Arjun said without elaborating.
According to sources, around 200 workers were present at the time of the accident.
All the injured have been admitted to Srikakulam-based Rajiv Institute of Medical Sciences, officials said.
Five fire engines were rushed to the spot to douse the fire which is still raging.
However, senior district officials refused to comment saying they are investigating into what could have triggered the fire at the plant situated at Arinam Akkivalasa village this morning.
Nagarjuna Agrichem is a unit of Nagarjuna Fertilisers and Chemicals.
Meanwhile, as a precautionary measure, the district authorities have started evacuating people from at least five villages, including Arinam Akkivalasa, Kesavarayuni Peta, Rayapadu, Boddapadu, situated in the vicinity of the site.
Top district officials, including district collector G Venkatram Reddy, joint collector P Bhasker and SP K V V Gopala, are monitoring the operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice