17 injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire
Srikakulam: At least 17 workers were on Saturday injured, five of them seriously, in a major fire that broke out reportedly following a blast at the Nagarjuna Agrichem plant in Andhra Pradesh`s Srikakulam district, police said.
"As per the initial reports there was a cylinder blast which triggered the blaze", Srikakulam Dy SP Arjun said without elaborating.
According to sources, around 200 workers were present at the time of the accident.
All the injured have been admitted to Srikakulam-based Rajiv Institute of Medical Sciences, officials said.
Five fire engines were rushed to the spot to douse the fire which is still raging.
However, senior district officials refused to comment saying they are investigating into what could have triggered the fire at the plant situated at Arinam Akkivalasa village this morning.
Nagarjuna Agrichem is a unit of Nagarjuna Fertilisers and Chemicals.
Meanwhile, as a precautionary measure, the district authorities have started evacuating people from at least five villages, including Arinam Akkivalasa, Kesavarayuni Peta, Rayapadu, Boddapadu, situated in the vicinity of the site.
Top district officials, including district collector G Venkatram Reddy, joint collector P Bhasker and SP K V V Gopala, are monitoring the operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says