Andhra continues crackdown on bus operators
Hyderabad: Intensifying their crackdown on private bus operators across Andhra Pradesh, the authorities on Wednesday seized 83 buses plying in violation of rules.
The Road Transport Authority (RTA) conducted raids in Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, Eluru, Adilabad and other towns. The seized buses include 43 private travel buses and 40 school buses.
The authorities also booked cases against operators which have not paid tax and those who were not maintaining a record of the passengers.
Taking serious view of the spurt in bus accidents, RTA officials launched a drive against the private operators three days ago.
Special teams of RTA employees checked the buses of private schools and colleges on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
RTA officials said buses which were plying without permits, fitness certificate and other documents and carrying passengers and luggage in excess to permissible limits were seized.
The Private Travels Association condemned the RTA action against the operators, saying they were rendering service to people as state-run Road Transport Corp (RTC) was unable to meet the demand.
The government started the crackdown after a private bus carrying Shirdi pilgrims from Hyderabad met with an accident Saturday in Maharashtra, killing 30 people.
There was utter confusion after the accident as police found that the private operator, Sri Kaleswari Tours and Travels, had no data of the number of passengers.
The RTA on Tuesday seized 36 buses including 18 belonging to Sri Kaleswari Tours and Travels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read