Andhra continues crackdown on bus operators
Hyderabad: Intensifying their crackdown on private bus operators across Andhra Pradesh, the authorities on Wednesday seized 83 buses plying in violation of rules.
The Road Transport Authority (RTA) conducted raids in Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, Eluru, Adilabad and other towns. The seized buses include 43 private travel buses and 40 school buses.
The authorities also booked cases against operators which have not paid tax and those who were not maintaining a record of the passengers.
Taking serious view of the spurt in bus accidents, RTA officials launched a drive against the private operators three days ago.
Special teams of RTA employees checked the buses of private schools and colleges on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
RTA officials said buses which were plying without permits, fitness certificate and other documents and carrying passengers and luggage in excess to permissible limits were seized.
The Private Travels Association condemned the RTA action against the operators, saying they were rendering service to people as state-run Road Transport Corp (RTC) was unable to meet the demand.
The government started the crackdown after a private bus carrying Shirdi pilgrims from Hyderabad met with an accident Saturday in Maharashtra, killing 30 people.
There was utter confusion after the accident as police found that the private operator, Sri Kaleswari Tours and Travels, had no data of the number of passengers.
The RTA on Tuesday seized 36 buses including 18 belonging to Sri Kaleswari Tours and Travels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?