Andhra Pradesh Assembly pays tribute to Nelson Mandela
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly on Thursday paid rich tributes to South Africa`s first black president Nelson Mandela, who died last week.
On the first day of the Winter Session, the Assembly passed a resolution, condoling the death of the anti-apartheid icon.
The house observed a two-minute silence as a mark of respect to the Bharat Ratna awardee after Speaker Nadendla Manohar read out the resolution.
Moving the condolence resolution, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy described Mandela as a great personality, who fought relentlessly for the rights of the black. He said Mandela`s death was a loss for every man who believes in freedom and equality.
Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu said Mandela`s ideals would always remain relevant. He said the African leader proved that anything could be achieved through non-violence. The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief said it was a matter of pride for India that Mandela was inspired by the philosophy of father of nation Mahatma Gandhi.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) leader Tarakarama Rao recalled the famous words of Mandela that he was ready to die for a society free from apartheid and inequality. He said the black leader spent 27 years in jail to end apartheid in the country.
YSR Congress party honorary president YS Vijayamma said Mandela`s life was a message for everyone.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Ahmed Pasha Khadri, Communist Party of India (CPI) leader G Mallesh, Bharatiya Janata Party`s E Lakshminarayana, Communist Party of India Marxist`s J Ranga Reddy and Lok Satta`s Jaiprakash Narayan paid their tributes to Mandela.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof