Andhra Pradesh escapes devastation as Cyclone Lehar weakens
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: State of Andhra Pradesh escaped devastation as the Cyclonic storm Lehar in the Bay of Bengal weakened before crossing its coast on Thursday.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the cyclone weakened into deep depression as it crossed the coast near Machilipatnam in Krishna district. It is likely to weaken further.
The deep depression triggered rains in Krishna, Guntur, Prakasam, East Godavari and West Godavari districts. Winds with the speed 50-60 kmph would prevail along and off Andhra Pradesh during next 12 hours, said an IMD bulletin.
It also forecast rainfall at most places with isolated heavy falls over coastal Andhra Pradesh and Yanam district of Puducherry (geographically a part of Andhra) during next 24 hours. Rainfall at many places with isolated heavy falls would also occur over Telangana during next 36 hours.
Earlier, the IMD withdrew the cyclone warning, much to the relief of the people in five of the nine coastal districts which feared devastation.
The meteorologists had Wednesday said the cyclonic storm weakened due to low temperature of the water at the coast, wind shear at the coast and also the winds blowing from central India.
The IMD had earlier warned the state of very severe cyclonic storm with the wind speed gusting to 200 kmph.
The state government had sounded an alert as the intensity of the cyclone feared to be more than that of 1996 cyclone that killed hundreds of people and caused widespread destruction in Konaseema region of East Godavari district.
The authorities have evacuated more than 26,000 people from vulnerable areas in four districts, requisitioned four helicopters and six columns of the army for rescue and relief work.
With the IMD withdrawing the cyclone alert, the warning signals hoisted all ports in the state were also taken back.
Lehar was the third cyclone to threaten the Andhra coast in a month. Helen had crossed the coast at Machilipatnam last week, killing six people and damaging crops over four lakh hectares.
Phailin, which hit Odisha-Andhra coast last month, had caused some crop damage and claimed one life in Srikakulam district bordering Odisha. However, the subsequent heavy rains and floods claimed 58 lives and damaged crops over 13 lakh hectares.
According to initial estimates by department of disaster management, Helen caused damage of Rs.1,628 crore. The state government has sought an assistance of Rs.6,500 crore from the central government for relief and rehabilitation in Phailin-hit areas.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'