Andhra Pradesh makes Dinesh Reddy state DGP `in charge`
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government on Monday issued an order making 1977 batch IPS officer V Dinesh Reddy the `Director General of Police (DGP) in-charge` of the state after suffering a setback when the Supreme Court refused to stay a high court order setting aside his appointment as the state`s regular DGP.
The High Court, in its verdict on August 16, had set aside the appointment of Dinesh as the state DGP. However, on August 24, the Supreme Court refused to stay the High Court order and said Dinesh could continue as an in-charge till a successor was appointed.
Left with no other option, state chief secretary Minnie Mathew issued an order this evening modifying the government dated June 30, 2011, related to Dinesh`s appointment.
"In partial modification of the orders issued in the government order dated June 30, 2011, Dinesh Reddy shall discharge the functions of DGP but as a purely in-charge / officiating arrangement," the chief secretary`s order said.
The state government, as per the high court order, will now have to forward five names to the UPSC for short-listing three senior-most IPS officers for appointment as DGP. The state government will take a final call on the appointment, official sources said.
However, Dinesh still stands a chance to become the regular DGP, as he will be among the top three senior-most IPS officers in the state, sources added.
The race, however, turned curious with the central government setting aside the suspension of Umesh Kumar, Dinesh`s batchmate and the senior-most IPS officer in the state cadre.
However, a pending criminal case against Umesh may mar his prospects of making it to the top slot, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal