Anti-Naxal ops will be intensified in AP: DGP
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh police chief
on Thursday asserted that anti-Naxal operations in the state would
be intensified soon to curb the menace.
An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) fitted with powerful
surveillance cameras would be pressed into service from
February to track the movement of Naxals, Director General of
Police (DGP) V Dinesh Reddy said at a press conference here.
Maoist activities in Andhra Pradesh had been largely
brought under control in the past few months, he said.
The UAV would be used in the Maoist stronghold areas
in Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam districts, the
DGP said, adding it will be particularly useful in tracking
their movements in forests.
The UAV images would be transmitted to base stations
and security forces could be mobilised in a helicopter to hunt
the rebels, Reddy said.
To facilitate faster movement of anti-Maoist forces, a
17-seater chopper will be inducted from third week of this
month, he said, adding the cost of UAV and helicopter
operations will be borne by Union Home Ministry.
Two more companies, either from Andhra Pradesh Special
Police or Central paramilitary forces, will be sanctioned for
anti-Naxal operations, the DGP informed.
About the strong presence of extremists on the Andhra-
Orissa Border (AOB), the police chief said this was because of
tough terrain and lack of adequate support from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day