AP: 4 dead, 24 hurt in a clash over land dispute
Srikakulam: Four villagers were killed and 24 others were injured, when two groups attacked each other with crude bombs and sharp weapons over a land dispute in Vangara mandal of the district on Tuesday, police said.
According to police, the incident was a result of an old dispute over the ownership of 60 acres of agricultural land. While members of one group had handed over their land to district authorities for a reservoir project and accepted the compensation, members of another group insisted on using the land for agricultural purposes.
The incident took place in Lakshmipet village of the district at around 10 am, when members of one group saw that some persons from the other group had started cultivating the disputed land, following which the clash broke out, police said.
Two persons died on the spot, when members of the groups hurled crude bombs and also attacked each other with sticks, sharp weapons and stones. Two others died on their way to a nearby hospital, an investigating officer said.
"At least 24 persons belonging to both the communities suffered injuries in the incident and were admitted to nearby hospitals," the police officer said.
Additional police force was rushed to the village and the situation was brought under control, with senior officials monitoring the situation, the officer said.
Further investigations were on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry