AP CM asks people to reduce power usage
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Friday asked people to reduce consumption of electricity or be ready to pay a higher price in form of surcharge even as he asserted that free power supply to the agriculture sector would continue.
"We are facing an unprecedented power crisis. The state is now purchasing 35 million units of power at the rate of Rs 8 per unit. People have to pay the price for this. The other option for them is to reduce usage," he said in an informal chat with newspersons here.
Power distribution companies recently levied Fuel Surcharge Adjustment (FSA) of Rs 6,022 crore on consumers for fiscal 2010-11, which will be collected till September 2014.
In addition, Rs 1,800 crore is being levied as FSA for the first quarter of the current fiscal year, while another Rs 980 crore will be levied for the second quarter.
Besides, another Rs 1,400 crore is due for collection for FY 2009-10 but it has been put on hold because of a case pending in the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
"The Government is spending about Rs 6,000 crore this year for purchase of additional power to bridge the demand and supply gap. People have to pay extra money for power or reduce usage," the Chief Minister said, when asked about the heavy financial burden on people on account of FSA levy.
Questioned about Finance Minister Anam Ramanarayana Reddy`s observation that the current electricity crisis was a result of free power supply to the farm sector, the Chief Minister maintained that the scheme would continue.
"We have treated free power supply (to farm sector) as a necessity. I explained to the Planning Commission for half-an-hour recently the need for free power. The scheme will continue and not even be diluted," Kiran asserted.
The current power crisis was due to reduction in generation because of non-availability of fuel, including gas and coal, he noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India