AP HC refuses to stay Panchayati Raj election proc
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court
today refused to interfere with the proposed election process for the Panchayati Raj institutions.
The Andhra Pradesh Sarpanch Sangam had approached the
High Court complaining that the reservation proposed by the
state government for SC/ST and BC categories exceeded 50 per
cent which is contrary to the Supreme Court judgement.
The petitioners contended that the State Election Commission was proceeding on issuing election notification on the advise of the state government.
However, Justice G Rohini, while dismissing the
application, observed that the election process can not be
interfered or stayed as the material supplied by the
petitioners is not sufficient to hold whether the reservation
exceeded 50 per cent or not.
It requires full data and close scrutiny of the case
put up by the petitioners at the final hearing, the judge
As a consequence of the decision, the decks for the
election commission to go ahead with the process stand
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur