AP liquor scandal: HC refuses more time for action on accused
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court Wednesday refused to grant three months time to the state government to take action against all those involved in the liquor syndicate scandal.
When the matter came up for hearing today, the counsel for the government sought three months time to take action against the accused.
Chief Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose who is heading the division bench observed that the government had already taken enough time.
The Chief Justice adjourned the hearing of the case to third week of January 2013 with an observation that by next hearing date the government should tell the court as to what action it had taken against the accused.
On November 20, the AP High Court gave state government four-week time to act on the Anti-Corruption Bureau`s report on the scam and said it will again hear the case after five weeks.
ACB had informed the court that it had sought permission for prosecuting some officials under Section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
ACB`s probe had revealed that liquor `syndicate` members were running shops in the names of `white` ration card holders who could not have had the financial resources to pay for licences.
Apart from arresting several liquor traders, the agency has also arrested several excise officials since March on the charge of "subverting" the tender process for allotment of liquor shops, and also some police officials, for allegedly having links with the liquor mafia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?