AP records 1.66 lakh crime cases; drop in rape incidents
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh recorded 1.66 lakh cognisable offences till November this year, with a slight rise of one per cent as compared to 1.64 lakh cases reported during the same period last year, while the number of rape cases decreased by 7.8 per cent.
Andhra Pradesh Director-General of Police (DGP) V Dinesh Reddy gave this information during the annual press meet of the state police here ON Monday.
"The overall crime situation (in the state) was under control, though there were a number of challenges on crime and law and order front, including the Telanga march held here on September 30, which were tackled successfully by AP Police this year and it effectively controlled communalism, factionalism and left-wing extremism," Reddy said.
Rape cases decreased by 7.8 per cent with 1,191 rape cases reported till November this year as against 1,291 cases recorded last year, the DGP said adding, "At a time when the nation is very much troubled with the crime against women...We made a rapid progress as far as our state is concerned."
Kidnapping cases dropped to 1,405 this year from 1,514 last year, he said.
However, the number of economic offences increased by 15.98 per cent with 9,626 cases recorded this year as close to around Rs 1,500 crore amount was at stake in such offences while 8,299 such cases were booked last year even as cases of cheating rose by 16.48 per cent with 8,441 cases reported this year as against 7,247 in 2011, he said.
Reacting to a query on demand for death sentence for the accused involved in rape cases, the DGP said, "We will have to take a consensus by going in for elaborate discussions on this issue with the think-tank of criminologists, law-makers, eminent lawyers and then only we can be able to come to a conclusion on the matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional