AP records 1.66 lakh crime cases; drop in rape incidents
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh recorded 1.66 lakh cognisable offences till November this year, with a slight rise of one per cent as compared to 1.64 lakh cases reported during the same period last year, while the number of rape cases decreased by 7.8 per cent.
Andhra Pradesh Director-General of Police (DGP) V Dinesh Reddy gave this information during the annual press meet of the state police here ON Monday.
"The overall crime situation (in the state) was under control, though there were a number of challenges on crime and law and order front, including the Telanga march held here on September 30, which were tackled successfully by AP Police this year and it effectively controlled communalism, factionalism and left-wing extremism," Reddy said.
Rape cases decreased by 7.8 per cent with 1,191 rape cases reported till November this year as against 1,291 cases recorded last year, the DGP said adding, "At a time when the nation is very much troubled with the crime against women...We made a rapid progress as far as our state is concerned."
Kidnapping cases dropped to 1,405 this year from 1,514 last year, he said.
However, the number of economic offences increased by 15.98 per cent with 9,626 cases recorded this year as close to around Rs 1,500 crore amount was at stake in such offences while 8,299 such cases were booked last year even as cases of cheating rose by 16.48 per cent with 8,441 cases reported this year as against 7,247 in 2011, he said.
Reacting to a query on demand for death sentence for the accused involved in rape cases, the DGP said, "We will have to take a consensus by going in for elaborate discussions on this issue with the think-tank of criminologists, law-makers, eminent lawyers and then only we can be able to come to a conclusion on the matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today