‘Army should be equipped to deal with cyber terrorism’
Hyderabad: The threat scenario in the
country has undergone a sea change over the years with issues
like cyber terrorism emerging as major threats and the armed
forces officers should be equipped to deal with them, Andhra
Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan said here today.
"From a mere external aggression facet, we have now
moved into a new era of threats. Earlier, when we talk of
national security, we always thought of as external aggression
from across the borders.
"But today, the whole concept of national security has
undergone a radical change, though external aggression is
still a major factor," he said in his valedictory address at
the College of Defence Management (CDM) here on completion of
the Higher Defence Management Course by a group of 108
"Globalisation, convergence, networking, technological
advancements, state actors and non-state actors,
criminal-terrorist linkages have all together changed the
security scenario today," he said.
The officers should be able to anticipate situations
and "calibrate the threat levels" instead of being reactive,
Narasimhan, a former IB Chief, said.
"There is a convergence of interests among state
players today against India. We need to understand this. There
are proxy actors, there are facilitators to fulfil a common
objective that is basically to destabilise India," he said.
Nexus between terrorists and criminals and cyber
terrorism are other major threats to security, Narasimhan
He regretted that cyber terrorism is a much neglected
area in terms of tackling the security threats which resulted
in cyber attacks.
The need of the hour is to take effective measures to
prevent cyber terrorism, he said.
Narasimhan asked the officers to make effective use of
technology, adopt human resource management practices by
decentralising decision making and delegating responsibility
to achieve optimum results.
108 officers of Colonel and equivalent rank, belonging
to the three Services, the Coast Guard and friendly foreign
countries including Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Afghanistan, were
conferred post graduate degree of Master of Management of
Studies on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'