BJP to contest Parakal bypoll
Hyderabad: Despite Telangana Rashtra Samithi`s (TRS) reservation, BJP on Tuesday made it clear that it would contest Parakal Assembly seat in Warangal district of Andhra Pradesh for which by-election was scheduled to be held on June 12.
The party wants to contest Parakal seat and the candidate`s name would be announced in a day or two, former Union Minister Bandaru Dattatrreya told reporters here o Tuesday.
The BJP has urged Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Telangana to support the party in the by-poll, he said.
JAC had earlier said they would like either the TRS or the BJP to contest the by-election from Parakal to ensure there is no division of pro-Telangana votes and it was toying with the idea of fielding a consensus candidate.
The people of Telangana and Parakal voters have realised that a separate state for Telangana region would come into force only through BJP, which was in favour of smaller states, Dattatreya said.
"If the party wins the Parakal Assembly seat, the Congress would be forced to move a Bill in Parliament carving out a separate state for Telangana," he asserted.
Stating that TRS was not able to digest the victory of BJP in Mahbubnagar Assembly by-election in March, the senior BJP leader alleged that the TRS chief was working for short term political benefit and he had tacit understanding with YSR Congress, led by Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, in Parakal.
Meanwhile, party state spokesperson NVSS Prabhakar criticised the functioning of Rao, saying he had been carrying on the Telangana movement since 11 years, but failed to get a separate state.
He even had an election tie-up with different political parties for his selfish gain because of which he won the by-elections in Telangana, Prabhakar alleged.
He said TRS had tied-up with Congress party in 2004 election, making promise for Telangana state and later it had contested elections with the support of TDP and left it in 2009.
The Parakal Assembly win would definitely put pressure on Congress party to carve out a separate state for Telangana, Prabhakar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM