Can Rahul Gandhi solve Telangana turmoil?
New Delhi: The political turmoil surrounding the Telangana issue can take a complete U-turn if Rahul Gandhi, the newly appointed Vice-President of the Congress party takes a major decision and call for a separate state called ‘Telangana’ before the upcoming 2014 General Elections.
Although Rahul Gandhi, after becoming the VP did take part in the very first core committee meet held on the Telangana issue Saturday, January 26, it is on cards that the Gandhi scion will attend future core meets of the party, as per sources.
Senior Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party Chief Sonia Gandhi, had discussed the demands for separate statehood to Telangana in view of the approaching deadline, set by the central government, for a decision on the issue.
Some party officials were quoted by a news channel: “He (Rahul) will attend core committee meetings in the future.”
However, Rahul Gandhi as a Congress General Secretary had attended a Congress Core Committee meet on September 16, 2011. Congress president Sonia Gandhi could not head the meet as she had returned from abroad after a undergoing a surgery.
Notably, after the coronation speech of Rahul Gandhi as the Congress Vice President in Jaipur, it was clear that Congress was trying to reach out to all sections of society. Now Congress’ focus of politics will not only remain to cater people higher up in the pyramid, but also to those at the bottom.
If Rahul succeeds in playing a bigger role in forming a separate Telangana state, the UPA government is sure to reserve for itself a large vote bank from this region – which can play a game changer in the 2014 polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says