Chandrababu Naidu`s convoy attacked during campaigning
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party president
Chandrababu Naidu`s convoy was today allegedly stoned by
supporters of YSR Congress party when he was addressing a road
show as part of the by-election campaign at Lingala in Kadapa
The incident occurred close on the heels of a similar
attack on Praja Rajyam Party chief K Chiranjeevi`s road show
in Pulivendula constituency last night.
Undeterred by the attack, Chandrababu continued his
road show, asserting that he would not be cowed down by such
Armed with sharp weapons like axes and sickles, the
group first attacked the TDP workers and then hurled stones at
Chandrababu`s convoy, but his security personnel provided a
shield and ensured that he was not hit.
Though caught by surprise, the former Andhra Pradesh
Chief Minister did not duck for cover and stayed on top of the
SUV even as TDP workers resisted the attack.
Later police entered the scene and chased away the
When locals and police appealed to him to leave the
place in view of the situation, the TDP chief reacted angrily
daring the local sub-inspector to arrest him.
"I will not move from here, if you want you can arrest
me," he said.
Chandrababu alleged that security for his road show
was scaled down.
"Today, they (supporters of YSR Congress party) are
not allowing leaders to tour the villages. Will they let
people to vote freely in the by-election," he said.
Meanwhile, TDP leader Nama Nageswara Rao, Leader of
Opposition in AP Legislative Council Dadi Veerabhadra Rao and
other TDP leaders strongly condemned the attack.
Veerabhadra Rao, senior MLA M Narasimhulu and other
TDP leaders met Director General of Police K Aravinda Rao here
this evening and requested him to take action against the
miscreants and ensure that the by-election process was
They also met the State Chief Electoral Officer
Bhanwarlal and complained about the attack.
Last night, eggs and footwear were hurled at
Chiranjeevi allegedly by supporters of YSR Congress party when
he was conducting a road show on behalf of the ruling Congress
in Pulivendula constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...