Doctors’ strike: Eight die in Andhra hospitals
Hyderabad: At least eight patients have died since Friday night at government-run hospitals in Andhra Pradesh where emergency services are crippled following a strike by junior doctors, officials said on Saturday.
Hospital officials said six patients died in the emergency ward of Gandhi Hospital here and one each in Visakhapatnam and Kurnool since Friday night. The relatives of the deceased alleged that lack of medical aid resulted in the death of their kins.
About 3,000 junior doctors in 10 teaching hospitals have been boycotting the emergency services since Friday evening to pressurise the government to accept their demands for a 40 percent hike in stipend and reduction in the compulsory service in rural areas from three years to one year.
They have been on strike for nearly a month to press for their demands but the government wants the medicos to call off their strike before any talks can be held.
Since 90 percent of the emergency services in the hospitals are rendered by the junior medicos, the strike has crippled the services. Osmania and Gandhi Hospitals in Hyderabad are the worst hit as there is hardly any doctor available to attend to the patients.
Chaotic scenes were seen at casualty wards and intensive care units of various departments at the hospitals in Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Kakinada, Tirupati, Anantapur, Kurnool and Warangal.
The authorities are using the services of non-clinical specialties staff, but the measure is proving inadequate in tackling the flow of patients, especially accident and burn victims and others who are critically ill, an official said.
The patients who can afford treatment in private hospitals are leaving the government facilities but the poor have no option but to stay there and hope for an early end to the standoff between the government and the striking junior doctors, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22