Doctors’ strike: Eight die in Andhra hospitals
Hyderabad: At least eight patients have died since Friday night at government-run hospitals in Andhra Pradesh where emergency services are crippled following a strike by junior doctors, officials said on Saturday.
Hospital officials said six patients died in the emergency ward of Gandhi Hospital here and one each in Visakhapatnam and Kurnool since Friday night. The relatives of the deceased alleged that lack of medical aid resulted in the death of their kins.
About 3,000 junior doctors in 10 teaching hospitals have been boycotting the emergency services since Friday evening to pressurise the government to accept their demands for a 40 percent hike in stipend and reduction in the compulsory service in rural areas from three years to one year.
They have been on strike for nearly a month to press for their demands but the government wants the medicos to call off their strike before any talks can be held.
Since 90 percent of the emergency services in the hospitals are rendered by the junior medicos, the strike has crippled the services. Osmania and Gandhi Hospitals in Hyderabad are the worst hit as there is hardly any doctor available to attend to the patients.
Chaotic scenes were seen at casualty wards and intensive care units of various departments at the hospitals in Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Kakinada, Tirupati, Anantapur, Kurnool and Warangal.
The authorities are using the services of non-clinical specialties staff, but the measure is proving inadequate in tackling the flow of patients, especially accident and burn victims and others who are critically ill, an official said.
The patients who can afford treatment in private hospitals are leaving the government facilities but the poor have no option but to stay there and hope for an early end to the standoff between the government and the striking junior doctors, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM