Farmer woes: Naidu in preventive custody
Hyderabad: TDP President and Leader of Opposition in Andhra Pradesh Assembly N Chandrababu Naidu and State CPI secretary K Narayana were taken into preventive custody today along with several leaders of their parties and farmers organisations when they tried to march towards the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister on the farmers issue.
Soon after concluding a "maha dharna" protesting the Congress government`s indifference to the farmers plight, Chandrababu and Narayana were leading their party workers towards the Secretariat from Indira Park for laying a siege but were blocked by police midway.
The TDP workers tried to protest but the police took Chandrababu and Narayana into custody in the afternoon and drove them away in a police jeep to Banjara Hills police station. Both leaders objected to the police action saying they were going to the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister and submit a memorandum.
Earlier, the former Chief Minister launched a scathing attack on the Kiran Kumar Reddy government for leaving the farmers in lurch.
"This government has failed to ensure adequate supply of inputs for launching agricultural operations in the Kharif season. Seeds and fertilisers are in short supply. Only about 10 per cent of farmers got crop loans from banks despite tall claims by the government," Chandrababu pointed out.
Licensed cultivators (tenant farmers) too were not getting loans from commercial banks despite the government enacting a legislation.Power supply to agriculture sector was erratic and farmers were not getting seven hour supply as promised by the government, the TDP chief said.
He demanded that the Government of India immediately implement the M S Swaminathan Committee recommendations to bail the farm sector out of crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row