Farmer woes: Naidu in preventive custody
Hyderabad: TDP President and Leader of Opposition in Andhra Pradesh Assembly N Chandrababu Naidu and State CPI secretary K Narayana were taken into preventive custody today along with several leaders of their parties and farmers organisations when they tried to march towards the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister on the farmers issue.
Soon after concluding a "maha dharna" protesting the Congress government`s indifference to the farmers plight, Chandrababu and Narayana were leading their party workers towards the Secretariat from Indira Park for laying a siege but were blocked by police midway.
The TDP workers tried to protest but the police took Chandrababu and Narayana into custody in the afternoon and drove them away in a police jeep to Banjara Hills police station. Both leaders objected to the police action saying they were going to the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister and submit a memorandum.
Earlier, the former Chief Minister launched a scathing attack on the Kiran Kumar Reddy government for leaving the farmers in lurch.
"This government has failed to ensure adequate supply of inputs for launching agricultural operations in the Kharif season. Seeds and fertilisers are in short supply. Only about 10 per cent of farmers got crop loans from banks despite tall claims by the government," Chandrababu pointed out.
Licensed cultivators (tenant farmers) too were not getting loans from commercial banks despite the government enacting a legislation.Power supply to agriculture sector was erratic and farmers were not getting seven hour supply as promised by the government, the TDP chief said.
He demanded that the Government of India immediately implement the M S Swaminathan Committee recommendations to bail the farm sector out of crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand