Farmer woes: Naidu in preventive custody
Hyderabad: TDP President and Leader of Opposition in Andhra Pradesh Assembly N Chandrababu Naidu and State CPI secretary K Narayana were taken into preventive custody today along with several leaders of their parties and farmers organisations when they tried to march towards the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister on the farmers issue.
Soon after concluding a "maha dharna" protesting the Congress government`s indifference to the farmers plight, Chandrababu and Narayana were leading their party workers towards the Secretariat from Indira Park for laying a siege but were blocked by police midway.
The TDP workers tried to protest but the police took Chandrababu and Narayana into custody in the afternoon and drove them away in a police jeep to Banjara Hills police station. Both leaders objected to the police action saying they were going to the Secretariat to meet the Chief Minister and submit a memorandum.
Earlier, the former Chief Minister launched a scathing attack on the Kiran Kumar Reddy government for leaving the farmers in lurch.
"This government has failed to ensure adequate supply of inputs for launching agricultural operations in the Kharif season. Seeds and fertilisers are in short supply. Only about 10 per cent of farmers got crop loans from banks despite tall claims by the government," Chandrababu pointed out.
Licensed cultivators (tenant farmers) too were not getting loans from commercial banks despite the government enacting a legislation.Power supply to agriculture sector was erratic and farmers were not getting seven hour supply as promised by the government, the TDP chief said.
He demanded that the Government of India immediately implement the M S Swaminathan Committee recommendations to bail the farm sector out of crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill