Greyhounds force inspector killed by Maoists cremated in Andhra Pradesh
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh anti-Maoist force Greyhounds reserve inspector K Vara Prasad Babu, who was captured and killed by Maoists, was cremated with full police honour at his native place Martoor in the district on Sunday.
The Maoists executed him after he lost his way in Kancharla forests, while returning from Tuesday`s encounter in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh in which 10 of rebels were killed.
The 33-year-old`s body reached Anakapalle mandal this morning in a special vehicle from Bhadrachalam in Khammam district and was taken in a procession to Martoor and finally to the cremation ground.
Locals of Anakapalle and Martoor, as well as police officials took part in the funeral procession.
His body was cremated with police honours and the last rites were performed by his father Venkata Somi Naidu.
Deputy Inspector General of Police of Visakha Range Swati Lakra, District Superintendent of Police G Srinivas and many other police officials attended the funeral.
Earlier, people from all walks of life went to his house at Martoor and paid their last respects.
A pall of gloom descended on Martoor as his body was consigned to flames.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre