Hyderabad college says consent was taken from parents for tour
Hyderabad: Management of the city-based engineering college, whose 24 students were washed away in gushing dam waters in Himachal Pradesh while on a study tour, on Monday said it had obtained consent from all parents concerned for the trip, which ended in a tragedy.
A group of 48 students of VNG Vijgana Jyothy Engineering College, along with three faculty members, was on a study tour when 24 of the pupils were washed away last evening when they were clicking pictures on the banks of river Beas in the hill State.
According to C Kiran Mai, Vice-Principal of the private institute, the college had obtained consent from the parents of all students for the study tour which was part of their curriculum for the 2nd year B Tech course (Electronics and Instrumentation).
As per the schedule, the students were supposed to visit 126 MW Larji hydel power project on river Beas near Thalot, 40km from Mandi. However, it was cancelled due to shortage of time, she said.
The group and faculty members had left for Himachal Pradesh on June 3 for a ten-day industrial study tour.
"We had taken consent for the tour from parents of the students. The tour was part of their curriculum. As per the schedule, they were supposed to visit the (Larji) power station. But they cancelled the visit due to a tight schedule," Kiran Mai told PTI today.
The Vice-Principal`s assertion came in the wake of allegations by some parents that the college management did not inform them about the tour.
The group, which was proceeding to Manali from Kulu for a night halt, made a brief stopover near a dam at around 6.30 pm for clicking pictures on the banks of river Beas. Two dozen of them were washed away in sudden release of huge quantity of water in the river from the reservoir of Larji.
A pall of gloom descended over the college after the news of the tragedy reached here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks