Hyderabad police arrest fake Naxal on extortion charges
Hyderabad: Police today arrested a fake
Naxalite and two of his associates on charge of extortion.
Commissioner`s Task Force arrested Mohd Rafiuddin alias
Zakir, a self-styled District Commander of PWG (operating in
the name of Ramesh Anna) and his associates Mohd Jaffer and
Mohd Majid Ali, who have allegedly extorted money from
contractors, builders, businessmen and rich persons in the
Rafiuddin, who was earlier arrested for extortion in 2001
and 2003 reportedly confessed to to have phoned over 1000
people from January 2007 to June 2008 (after he was arrested)
and extorted money from about 80 persons.
After his release on bail in September 2008, Rafiuddin,
formed a gang with two others and indulged in extortion in the
name of Naxalites. He threatened 354 persons statewide. He was
arrested again in January 2009, police said.
Again after getting bail in March this year, Rafiuddin,
continued extortion and has admitted to have made calls to
over 300 people till date and extorted money, a police officer
said adding "most of the victims did not come forward to lodge
police complaint due to fear of death."
Efforts are in progress to identify the victims and to
initiate necessary action, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam