Kiran Reddy lauds Indira Gandhi for keeping AP united
Hyderabad: Coming out strongly in support of united Andhra again, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy today praised late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for keeping the state united in the face of separate statehood agitations in the past.
"If we are all united in Andhra Pradesh and if the country has developed so much, it is only because of Indira Gandhi. Separate Telangana movement took place in 1969. Separate Andhra movement happened in Seemandhra in 1972. She put a full stop to both and said Andhra Pradesh should not be divided. She was such a great leader," Reddy said.
"She (Indira Gandhi) had said the future of Andhra Pradesh would be good only in unity. She had said in Parliament on December 21, 1972, that she is an integrationist," he said.
Reddy was speaking in Visakhapatnam after offering floral tributes to Indira Gandhi on her death anniversary and late Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his birth anniversary.
"What I am mentioning, (Article) 371-D or to keep the state united are only the words of Smt Indiraji in Parliament for united Andhra Pradesh," the chief minister said.
Reddy has been vocal in favouring a united Andhra Pradesh though the Congress Working Committee (CWC) and the Union Cabinet decided in favour of separate Telangana.
The chief minister`s support to united Andhra cause has led to speculation that he would launch a political party over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan