Manpower shortage, fund constraints troubling Prasar Bharati
Hyderabad: The Prasar Bharati is saddled
with problems like shortage of manpower and fund constraints
and is according top priority to recruitment, the national
broadcaster`s CEO B S Lalli said today.
"Priority is... recruitment and now steps are being taken
to recruit at central and local level with focus on local
talent", Lalli said here during a programme organised by the
Andhra Pradesh Working Journalist Federation.
On funding he said, "The Government of India has agreed
to meet all the capital expenditure and the regular
expenditure... government is willing to bear 50 per cent and
the balance 50 per cent has to be borne by the Prasar
He said revenue can also be raised by utilising spectrum
and air time.
"Earning revenue does not mean commercialisation but
giving informative programme good music and entertainment",
He rued that although Doordarshan and AIR have
distinctive creation of content there is no visibility as the
terrestrial front is shrinking in view of cable operators and
satellite operators not implementing the cable regulator Act,
which makes it mandatory to telecast Doordarshan among the
Lalli said he has in fact suggested to Parliament to
appoint engineers from AIR and Doordarshan and to notify them
as inspecting officers, who will carry out inspections at
cable operators level. They should also be authorising
officers to ensure that the law is enforced, he added.
Referring to a large number of part-time correspondents of
both All India Radio and Doordarshan he said it was difficult
to regularise them but the broadcaster would continue to use
Stating that there was no competition between Prasar
Bharati and commercial broadcasters, he said the national
broadcaster was born out of public interest whereas the
commercial channels` idea was different.
While underlining the need to produce more creative and
local programmes, Lalli said there should be a balance between
the in-house production programmes and outsourcing programmes
with a social message to the masses.
"India has a rich treasure trove diversity and we should
exploit it to create local talent programmes. There is lot of
scope for creative content in AIR and Doordarshan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum