No anticipatory bail for Jagan Reddy in DA case
Hyderabad: A CBI court on Thursday denied interim anticipatory bail to Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy in connection with the alleged disproportionate assets case pending against him.
In view of the investigating agency summoning him to appear before it tomorrow, Jagan moved the court seeking anticipatory bail through his counsel, while expressing apprehensions that the CBI`s move is solely aimed at arresting him and smacked of "ulterior motive". He alleged that the probe agency was "misusing" its power.
Jagan`s counsel Sushil Kumar argued that the FIR in the case was lodged in August last year and his client was never summoned in over nine months since then.
"What is the urgency when he (Jagan) is going to appear before the court on May 28 in connection with the summons issued against him by the CBI court after the chargesheet was filed against him in the case.
They (CBI) issued notices only yesterday to appear before them. My apprehension is that I may be arrested by the CBI. It appears that the CBI has an ulterior motive as the campaigning for the byelections is at its peak and my client is a politician of high standard," Jagan`s counsel said in the petition.
The petition further said that the "17 MLAs were disqualified for supporting me and by-elections are necessitated on account of disqualification".
"There is no need for interim anticipatory bail if CBI gives an undertaking that Jagan will not be arrested. Let them call me after June 15 and I sought time in this regard but the CBI has not accepted the same and there seems to be some mischief," the defence counsel submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video