No anticipatory bail for Jagan Reddy in DA case
Hyderabad: A CBI court on Thursday denied interim anticipatory bail to Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy in connection with the alleged disproportionate assets case pending against him.
In view of the investigating agency summoning him to appear before it tomorrow, Jagan moved the court seeking anticipatory bail through his counsel, while expressing apprehensions that the CBI`s move is solely aimed at arresting him and smacked of "ulterior motive". He alleged that the probe agency was "misusing" its power.
Jagan`s counsel Sushil Kumar argued that the FIR in the case was lodged in August last year and his client was never summoned in over nine months since then.
"What is the urgency when he (Jagan) is going to appear before the court on May 28 in connection with the summons issued against him by the CBI court after the chargesheet was filed against him in the case.
They (CBI) issued notices only yesterday to appear before them. My apprehension is that I may be arrested by the CBI. It appears that the CBI has an ulterior motive as the campaigning for the byelections is at its peak and my client is a politician of high standard," Jagan`s counsel said in the petition.
The petition further said that the "17 MLAs were disqualified for supporting me and by-elections are necessitated on account of disqualification".
"There is no need for interim anticipatory bail if CBI gives an undertaking that Jagan will not be arrested. Let them call me after June 15 and I sought time in this regard but the CBI has not accepted the same and there seems to be some mischief," the defence counsel submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?