No threat to Congress govt: Chiranjeevi
Hyderabad: In the wake of resignations by
the legislators loyal to Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, the
actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi and senior Congress
leaders from Andhra Pradesh on Monday asserted that there is no
threat to the state government.
26 MLAs, including 24 from ruling Congress and two TDP
rebel legislators, today put in their papers protesting
inclusion of late chief minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy`s name
in the CBI FIR in a probe into his son Jaganmohan`s assets.
"I had said on an earlier occasion that we will protect
the government. Such a situation prevails today. We are
responsible for the stability of this government. May be for
this reason, Sonia Gandhiji sought merger of Praja Rajyam with
Congress. This shows her farsightedness and vision. Nothing
can be done to this government," Chiranjeevi said.
He was speaking at a function in Gandhi Bhavan, the
state Congress headquarters, where the Praja Rajyam MLAs and
other party leaders formally joined the ruling party.
Chiranjeevi formally became member of Congress in the
presence of AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi on August 20.
Observing that the public mood in the country is against
corruption as witnessed in the massive support for Anna
Hazare`s fast and the outcome of Tamil Nadu Assembly polls, he
indicated that a similar fate awaited "them" (Jagan and
In an apparent reference to Jagan, state Congress
president Botsa Satyanarayana said some individuals and
parties are trying to destabilise the Congress government.
"There is an impression in some that they can do
anything with money. We need to face this unitedly. We need to
safeguard democracy," he said.
Asserting that the Congress base is strong in Andhra
Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said none can
defeat Congress and that the party would lose only if it is
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter