Old Hyderabad peaceful, police ease restrictions
Hyderabad: Authorities eased restrictions around the historic Charminar Wednesday, providing some relief to the people reeling under curfew-like situation in the old-city of Hyderabad, police said.
Some shops around the Charminar -- the monument which symbolizes Hyderabad -- re-opened while two-wheelers were also allowed to ply on the roads leading to the heritage monument. However, restrictions on plying of three- and four-wheelers continued, a police official said.
After three days of a complete shutdown following tension over an alleged expansion of a temple abutting the monument, there were some signs of normalcy in the old city.
The police have not yet lifted prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more people but removed some barricades in the areas adjoining Charminar, facilitating movement of the people.
As the day began, the police continued with the restrictions but in the afternoon shops were allowed to open.
For the second consecutive day, large number of devotees offered `puja` at Bhagyalakshmi Temple abutting the Charminar. Long queues of men and women were seen.
Large number of policemen and paramilitary forces remained deployed in the communally sensitive localities.
Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said normalcy was returning to the old city. He said the situation was peaceful.
The police chief appealed to all sections of people to cooperate in maintaining peace.
Meanwhile, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has demanded a probe by a sitting judge into the incidents that took place in the old-city during the last few days.
It accused Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) of fomenting trouble for its vested political interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron