Poll process set in motion in Telangana, TRS may go alone
Hyderabad: The Election Commission Wednesday issued notification for polling in Telangana region on April 30, even as BJP-TDP and Congress-CPI appear to be inching closer to pre-poll alliances.
Though the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh is only a mere formality now, simultaneous polls will be held for the Legislative Assembly and Lok Sabha seats in undivided state.
Nominations would be accepted from today for the 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly seats in Telangana and the last date is April nine. The last date for withdrawal is April 12.
The prolonged talks between TDP and BJP for a pre-poll understanding appeared to have come to a final stage and the two parties are expected to make an announcement of the pact in a day or two.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar, incharge of party affairs in AP, today said that dialogue with TDP is on. "We will let you know when things happen", he said.
According to reports, BJP is likely to get about 45-50 Assembly and eight Lok Sabha seats in Telangana, which would come into existence on June 2, and about five Lok Sabha and 15 Assembly segments in Seemandhra which would go to polls on May 7 for 175 Assembly and 25 Lok Sabha seats.
Lok Satta Party of bureaucrat-turned-politician Jayaprakash Narayan is also likely to join the alliance of TDP and BJP. Narayan is the sole MLA of his party in outgoing AP Assembly.
Meanwhile, the ruling Congress, having been spurned by TRS for merger or even an electoral alliance, is in talks with CPI for an electoral alliance.
CPI state secretary K Narayana said in Tirupati today that a decision on the issue is likely at the meeting of party`s Telangana committee tomorrow.
TRS has held talks with CPI for alliance, but nothing concrete appeared to have come out of the exercise. As of now, it appears TRS may go alone in Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'