Pro-Andhra protests held at Central offices, banks
Hyderabad: The united-Andhra supporters on Thursday organised protests at the offices of Central Government and PSU banks in the Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions against the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh.
The agitators raised slogans in support of united Andhra Pradesh and protested at the offices in Tirupati, Anantapur and other places.
The pro-united Andhra employees of Andhra Pradesh government and others had called for protests at Central Government offices today and tomorrow, followed by a bandh in Seemandhra regions on September 24 among other agitational programmes.
The agitators held other forms of protest like rallies, fasts, sit-ins, bike rallies in support of united Andhra demand.
The Congress Working Committee (CWC) had endorsed the separate Telangana demand on July 30.
Public sector banks remained closed in East Godavari district on the shutdown call.
"All banks in the district are voluntarily closed and business transactions severely affected," said spokesman of a public sector bank.
He said transactions over Rs 70 crore got affected due to the closure of as many as 33 banks of State Bank of India.
He said dealings to the tune of Rs 10 crore were affected in the Rajahmundry division alone.
Students held demonstrations in front of Rajahmundry railway station as part of their protest to besiege offices of Central government and national banks.
Offices of ONGC, Telegraphs office, BSNL remained closed today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Consume lots of fruits during pregnancy to have smart kids!
- Eight killed after jeep falls in gorge in Uttarakhand
- 'No past govts ever achieved as much as Narendra Modi did in past two years'
- Eight injured in bus blast in Haryana, government forms SIT
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today