Pro-Telangana Cong leaders go on hunger strike
Hyderabad: Intensifying their agitation,
several Congress MPs and MLAs, who quit their posts recently,
on Wednesday began a 48-hour hunger strike to highlight their demand
for a separate Telangana state.
The fast began at the Indira Park here, with seven
MPs, three ministers, 14 MLAs and two MLCs taking part in it.
Though, there has been no concrete response from the
Centre, following their en masse resignations, the hunger
strike is aimed at highlighting their demand, Telangana
Congress leaders said.
Asked about the comments by Union Minister and
in-charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, Ghulam Nabi
Azad, that wider consensus and a resolution in the assembly is
necessary for the formation of a separate state, Congress MP
from Karimnagar Ponnam Prabhakar said that a consensus would
never be possible, as legislators from non-Telangana region
are more in numbers.
"If he (Azad) has made such comments, it is
regrettable. Leadeship needs to think about such comments.
Consensus would not be possible, because they are more in
numbers. In fact, all parties had agreed on the formation of
Telangana earlier. We will use these comments to only
strengthen our resolve and to achieve our goal," he said.
Azad had said in Beijing yesterday that a decision on
the formation of Telangana state cannot move ahead an "inch"
without the State Assembly passing a unanimous resolution.
"If we have to do this we have to pass a unanimous
resolution. Unless it is passed, we cannot move one inch,"
Azad had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists