Protests in Andhra`s Nellore over women`s murder
Hyderabad: A shutdown was observed for the second consecutive day on Thursday in Nellore town of Andhra Pradesh to condemn the gruesome murders of a medical student and her mother.
Shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed while student and women`s groups took out rallies, demanding stringent punishment to the guilty.
Twenty-year-old A Bhargavi, a student of Narayana Medical College and her mother Shakuntala, 43, were killed in their house by a carpenter and his two accomplices in broad daylight on Tuesday. They also injured Bhargavi`s father Dinakar Reddy, who runs a pharmacy college in the town, about 500 km from Hyderabad.
Shaik Imtiaz and his two associates Murali Manohar and Vamsi Krishna were caught by police and the local people, who had surrounded the house when they were trying to escape with the cash and valuables.
The incident shocked the town, and led to massive protests over the last two days. The protestors were demanding instant death to the killers. Some even demanded that the police handover the culprits to them. The authorities have assured the people that a fast-track court would be set up for the quick disposal of the murder case.
Preliminary investigations by the police revealed that Imtiaz, who knew Reddy`s family as he had carried out woodwork in their house, hatched a conspiracy to rob the house and lured Manohar and Krishna, both said to be minors. They arrived at the house after making sure that Dinakar Reddy was at college.
They told police that they threw chilli powder into Shakuntala`s eyes and warned her to keep quiet. However, as she showed resistance, Imtiaz stabbed her. On hearing the cries of her mother, Bhargavi came out of her room. The accused, who were thinking that Shakuntala was alone at home, panicked and stabbed her too.
They looted the cash and valuables and were about to escape when they heard a knock at the door. The trio attacked Dinakar Reddy when he entered the house. However, as police and neighbours arrived on the scene, they locked themselves in a room.
A police officer said they were trying to find out if the accused deliberately waited for Dinakar to arrive so that they could kill him too and leave no proof as Imtiaz was believed to have spoken to him over phone before reaching his house.
Imtiaz is a diploma holder in interior designing while the other two accused are said to be Class 11 drop-outs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM