Seven Maoist militia members held, three surrender
Visakhapatnam: Seven militia members of the outlawed Maoists movement, including head of CPI(Maoist) panchayat committee, were on Wednesday arrested in the district, police said.
Three CPI(Maoist) sympathisers also surrendered before the police, they said.
The seven militia members, belonging to Korukonda area committee of Balapam panchayat of agency area, were arrested from the Chintapalli mandal of the district, Superintendent of Police Vikram Jeet Duggal told reporters here.
They were involved in several extremists activities including firing, arson, blasting of government godowns and obstruction of vehicular movement, he said.
Terming the arrests as significant in view of the Assembly and general elections, the SP appealed to the Maoists to shun violence and join the mainstream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?