Situation in Rayalaseema, coastal Andhra under control: Police
Hyderabad: Baring stray incidents of
destruction of properties by protesters demanding a unified
Andhra Pradesh, the situation in coastal Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions in the state was by and large peaceful and
under control, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
Apart from damaging public properties and road blockades,
the anti-Telangana protesters resorted to `rail roko` at seven
places in Kadapa, Guntur, Vizianagaram and West Godavari
districts, but the situation is under control, Inspector
General of Police A R Anuradha told reporters here.
Some political leaders who were staging a hunger strike
in Vijaywada city were among 64 persons who were taken into
preventive custody from different districts of Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions today, Anuradha, who is also the official
spokesperson of Andhra Pradesh Police, said.
She said the police are keeping a close watch at
different varsities in the region after protests at the Sri
Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) in Anantapur turned violent
yesterday and police lathicharged students.
Reacting to a query that if any instructions were issued
to open rowdy-sheet against violent agitators at SKU, the
police officer said, "We have issued orders in this regard.
However, no rowdy-sheet has been opened so far. There are some
anti-social elements instigating violence. It`s very difficult
to identify such people immediately."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note