Situation in Rayalaseema, coastal Andhra under control: Police
Hyderabad: Baring stray incidents of
destruction of properties by protesters demanding a unified
Andhra Pradesh, the situation in coastal Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions in the state was by and large peaceful and
under control, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
Apart from damaging public properties and road blockades,
the anti-Telangana protesters resorted to `rail roko` at seven
places in Kadapa, Guntur, Vizianagaram and West Godavari
districts, but the situation is under control, Inspector
General of Police A R Anuradha told reporters here.
Some political leaders who were staging a hunger strike
in Vijaywada city were among 64 persons who were taken into
preventive custody from different districts of Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions today, Anuradha, who is also the official
spokesperson of Andhra Pradesh Police, said.
She said the police are keeping a close watch at
different varsities in the region after protests at the Sri
Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) in Anantapur turned violent
yesterday and police lathicharged students.
Reacting to a query that if any instructions were issued
to open rowdy-sheet against violent agitators at SKU, the
police officer said, "We have issued orders in this regard.
However, no rowdy-sheet has been opened so far. There are some
anti-social elements instigating violence. It`s very difficult
to identify such people immediately."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!