Situation in Rayalaseema, coastal Andhra under control: Police
Hyderabad: Baring stray incidents of
destruction of properties by protesters demanding a unified
Andhra Pradesh, the situation in coastal Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions in the state was by and large peaceful and
under control, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
Apart from damaging public properties and road blockades,
the anti-Telangana protesters resorted to `rail roko` at seven
places in Kadapa, Guntur, Vizianagaram and West Godavari
districts, but the situation is under control, Inspector
General of Police A R Anuradha told reporters here.
Some political leaders who were staging a hunger strike
in Vijaywada city were among 64 persons who were taken into
preventive custody from different districts of Andhra and
Rayalaseema regions today, Anuradha, who is also the official
spokesperson of Andhra Pradesh Police, said.
She said the police are keeping a close watch at
different varsities in the region after protests at the Sri
Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) in Anantapur turned violent
yesterday and police lathicharged students.
Reacting to a query that if any instructions were issued
to open rowdy-sheet against violent agitators at SKU, the
police officer said, "We have issued orders in this regard.
However, no rowdy-sheet has been opened so far. There are some
anti-social elements instigating violence. It`s very difficult
to identify such people immediately."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video