Stone-pelting by pro-Telangana students continues in OU
Hyderabad: Stone-pelting by pro-Telangana
students at police continued unabated for the fourth day on Sunday
in the Osmania University campus here, even as various
political parties, along with Congress leaders from Telangana,
clamoured for removal of security forces from the varsity.
After remaining calm till around 4 pm, groups of students
pelted stones on police personnel at different places in and
around the OU campus, Deputy Commissioner of Police (East
Zone) Y Gangadhar told PTI, adding the security forces
responded by firing teargas shells.
"Our personnel are alert. The protesters have been chased
away but they are re-grouping and continuing with stone
pelting now and then," Gangadhar said.
The pro-Telangana students and activists who have been
protesting and carrying out violence acts against the Justice
Srikrishna Committee`s recommendations since it was publicised
on January 6 have indulged in "clashes" with the police by
hurling stones besides torching RTC buses, private vehicles,
disrupting traffic in and around the varsity, police said.
The Osmania University, which has become the epicentre of
the separate statehood movement since last year`s protests,
continues to remain tense after the report was made public.
Earlier in the day, Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabita
Reddy held a meeting with Congress leaders, police officials
and OU Peace Committee members after the party leaders from
Telangana demanded withdrawal of Central paramilitary forces
from the varsity.
The TRS, TDP, BJP have been opposing Central forces from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations