Teach betrayers a lesson, AP Congress tells party workers
Vijayawada: Andhra Pradesh (Seemandhra) Pradesh Congress Committee president N Raghuveera Reddy on Sunday urged his party workers to "teach a lesson" to those who betrayed the party after "enjoying power for ten years".
He made the statement while addressing party workers here as part his bus tour campaign along with Union Minister and Congress` chief campaigner Chiranjeevi.
Without naming local MP Rajagopal, he indirectly alleged that he had cheated Congress workers who served him for the past ten years, without expecting anything from him.
He left them to contest the present municipal elections, by leaving the Congress, Reddy said.
Reddy said the Congress has never lost its image, though it had suffered some setbacks.
He said that even during the 1971 and 1978 elections, the Congress party fared well though top leaders left the party.
"The same thing would happen again during the 2014 general elections," he said.
Those leaving the Congress are now joining the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) which plans to ally with a "communal" BJP, he said, adding that party workers must teach them a lesson.
He also said that the Congress decided to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh only after other political parties favoured creation of a separate Telangana state.
The BJP and YSR Congress passed such resolutions during their plenary meetings and the TDP handed over a letter to the Union government to create a separate state of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre