Telangana Congress MPs meet top party leaders
New Delhi: With the party and the government
grappling with the issue of Telangana, Congress MPs from the
region pressing for creation of a separate state tonight had a
meeting with top central leaders.
At least 14 MPs from the region met Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee and discussed the issue. Defence Minister A K
Antony and AICC in-charge for Andhra Pradesh M Veerappa Moily
were also present in the meeting.
The meeting comes a day after the former party MP Y S
Jaganmohan Reddy organised a one-day fast here, which was
attended by two dozen Congress MLAs of which some also
belonged to Telangana region.
Sources said that the earlier plan was to meet each of
the MPs individually but they insisted on meeting together.
The MPs, who met the party leaders included senior leader
K Keshava Rao, Madhu Yakshi Goud, Ponnam Prabhakar and
Congress high command appears to be adopting a wait-
and-watch approach on the challenge thrown up by the
Srikrishna Committee on Telangana, which has given various
options including keeping the state united as well as
formation of a separate Telangana.
The party is banking heavily on newly installed Chief
Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to tackle the situation giving more
than hints that it was an "acid test" and if he could prove
his leadership, it would be better for him and the party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan