Telangana Congress MPs meet top party leaders
New Delhi: With the party and the government
grappling with the issue of Telangana, Congress MPs from the
region pressing for creation of a separate state tonight had a
meeting with top central leaders.
At least 14 MPs from the region met Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee and discussed the issue. Defence Minister A K
Antony and AICC in-charge for Andhra Pradesh M Veerappa Moily
were also present in the meeting.
The meeting comes a day after the former party MP Y S
Jaganmohan Reddy organised a one-day fast here, which was
attended by two dozen Congress MLAs of which some also
belonged to Telangana region.
Sources said that the earlier plan was to meet each of
the MPs individually but they insisted on meeting together.
The MPs, who met the party leaders included senior leader
K Keshava Rao, Madhu Yakshi Goud, Ponnam Prabhakar and
Congress high command appears to be adopting a wait-
and-watch approach on the challenge thrown up by the
Srikrishna Committee on Telangana, which has given various
options including keeping the state united as well as
formation of a separate Telangana.
The party is banking heavily on newly installed Chief
Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to tackle the situation giving more
than hints that it was an "acid test" and if he could prove
his leadership, it would be better for him and the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre