Telangana Congress MPs meet top party leaders
New Delhi: With the party and the government
grappling with the issue of Telangana, Congress MPs from the
region pressing for creation of a separate state tonight had a
meeting with top central leaders.
At least 14 MPs from the region met Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee and discussed the issue. Defence Minister A K
Antony and AICC in-charge for Andhra Pradesh M Veerappa Moily
were also present in the meeting.
The meeting comes a day after the former party MP Y S
Jaganmohan Reddy organised a one-day fast here, which was
attended by two dozen Congress MLAs of which some also
belonged to Telangana region.
Sources said that the earlier plan was to meet each of
the MPs individually but they insisted on meeting together.
The MPs, who met the party leaders included senior leader
K Keshava Rao, Madhu Yakshi Goud, Ponnam Prabhakar and
Congress high command appears to be adopting a wait-
and-watch approach on the challenge thrown up by the
Srikrishna Committee on Telangana, which has given various
options including keeping the state united as well as
formation of a separate Telangana.
The party is banking heavily on newly installed Chief
Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to tackle the situation giving more
than hints that it was an "acid test" and if he could prove
his leadership, it would be better for him and the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees