Telangana issue: Vijayamma to undertake indefinite fast in Guntur
Vijayawada: YSR Congress Party honorary president Y S Vijayalakshmi will begin her indefinite fast in Guntur on Monday to protest Centre`s decision to carve out separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh, party sources said here on Sunday.
Vijayamma had earlier planned to undertake the fast in Vijayawada. However, since the police authorities did not give permission to the party saying that the election code of conduct was in force in the district, they said.
"The election code of conduct is in force in Krishna district for the Avanigadda assembly bypolls. Therefore, Vijayawada Police Commissioner denied the permission and asked the party to change the venue," sources said.
Later, when the partymen approached the Election Commission, who asked them to follow the Police Commissioner`s orders.
Following this, the YSR Congress Party decided to shift the fast venue to Guntur, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets