Telangana issue: Vijayamma to undertake indefinite fast in Guntur
Vijayawada: YSR Congress Party honorary president Y S Vijayalakshmi will begin her indefinite fast in Guntur on Monday to protest Centre`s decision to carve out separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh, party sources said here on Sunday.
Vijayamma had earlier planned to undertake the fast in Vijayawada. However, since the police authorities did not give permission to the party saying that the election code of conduct was in force in the district, they said.
"The election code of conduct is in force in Krishna district for the Avanigadda assembly bypolls. Therefore, Vijayawada Police Commissioner denied the permission and asked the party to change the venue," sources said.
Later, when the partymen approached the Election Commission, who asked them to follow the Police Commissioner`s orders.
Following this, the YSR Congress Party decided to shift the fast venue to Guntur, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter