Telangana ministers press for `time bound` solution
Hyderabad: Despite assurances from the Centre about an amicable solution for the Telangana statehood row, the Congress MPs from the region have refused to withdraw their resignations until the party leadership comes out with a time-frame for the formation of a new state.
The ministers are not ready to lower their stance and give any concession to the Congress party despite assurance of some “good news” on Telangana from Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
The ministers have ruled out any blackmail on the issue of granting statehood to the Telangana region, but they insist that their stand was a reflection of the demands of people living in the region.
As of now, there has been no official word from the Congress high command on this issue.
Earlier on Sunday, a delegation of 13 ministers led by State Information and Tourism Minister Geeta Reddy met Pranab to protest the Centre`s dilly-dallying on Telangana.
The Telangana region has been on the boil ever since Telangana Rashtriya Samiti (TRS)
chief K Chandrasekhar Rao went on a fast-unto-death to press Centre on the issue of granting statehood to Telangana.
KCR ended his fast on the eleventh day, after Centre assured that it will initiate process in the State Assembly for the formation of a new state.
The Centre later backtracked saying that a decision will be taken only after consultations with all parties concerned.
However, this again fuelled a political storm in the state of Andhra Pradesh and a tug-of-war between Telangana supporters and the Centre.
K Chandrasekhar Rao, or KCR, along with pro-Telangana politicians and student groups, has formed the Telangana Joint Action Committee, which has given an ultimatum to the Centre.
KCR has warned that he will start an indefinite bandh in Telangana on Tuesday, if the Centre does not commit to a schedule for the formation of the new state it sanctioned earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what