Telangana turmoil: Police fire teargas shells at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Police fired teargas shells on the campus of Osmania University here Sunday to stop pro-Telangana students from taking out a rally, an official said.
Tension prevailed on the campus as the police and paramilitary forces swung into action to disperse students pelting stones at them. Student leaders alleged that a few students were injured in police baton charge. Police sealed all the gates of the campus to prevent students from coming out.
Osmania University students Joint Action Committee has called for siege to Raj Bhavan to press the demand for statehood to Telangana and also to seek resignation of Governor ESL Narasimhan for his reported opposition to separate Telangana state demand.
Police stopped students who were trying to take out a bike rally to Raj Bhavan, 10 km from the campus. There was heated argument between student leaders and police officers.
Another group of students was arrested near Raj Bhavan. They had gathered at Khairatabad crossroads and were heading towards the official residence of the governor when police took them into custody.
Osmania University has witnessed many violent demonstrations for separate state during last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read