Telangana turmoil: Police fire teargas shells at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Police fired teargas shells on the campus of Osmania University here Sunday to stop pro-Telangana students from taking out a rally, an official said.
Tension prevailed on the campus as the police and paramilitary forces swung into action to disperse students pelting stones at them. Student leaders alleged that a few students were injured in police baton charge. Police sealed all the gates of the campus to prevent students from coming out.
Osmania University students Joint Action Committee has called for siege to Raj Bhavan to press the demand for statehood to Telangana and also to seek resignation of Governor ESL Narasimhan for his reported opposition to separate Telangana state demand.
Police stopped students who were trying to take out a bike rally to Raj Bhavan, 10 km from the campus. There was heated argument between student leaders and police officers.
Another group of students was arrested near Raj Bhavan. They had gathered at Khairatabad crossroads and were heading towards the official residence of the governor when police took them into custody.
Osmania University has witnessed many violent demonstrations for separate state during last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das