Third anniversary of Mecca Masjid blast passes off peacefully
Hyderabad: The third anniversary of the
bomb blast at the historic Mecca Masjid here passed off
peacefully, even as security forces maintained a tight vigil
on suspected terror elements, who have been targeting
policemen in particular.
A cellphone-triggered pipe bomb placed at the Mecca
Masjid during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007 had claimed nine
lives, and five people were killed in police firing,
subsequent to the bomb blast.
In view of the recent terror attack that claimed the
life of U Ramesh, a police constable on picket duty at
Shah-Ali Banda on May 14, security was tightened at important
places, including the Mecca Masjid and other parts of the Old
City, as a precautionary measure to avert any untoward
"Security had been beefed up and the day passed off
peacefully and no untoward incidents were reported," DCP South
Zone Madhusudan Reddy told PTI, adding frisking and vehicle
checking were conducted by the police in different areas.
It was for the third time in the past 17 months that
suspected terrorist elements attacked policemen on duty,
killing two and injuring as many in Hyderabad city and the
role of Viqaruddin alias Viqar Ahmed, is being strongly
suspected behind these attacks.
Police suspect terror operatives are targeting their
personnel to "avenge" the death of five Muslims during the
police firing immediately after the blast in the Mecca Masjid.
Even as the police are yet to achieve any breakthrough
in the present and the previous cases (attacks on cops), a
little known city-based outfit Tehrik Galba-e-Islami, has
again claimed responsibility for killing the policeman.
Tehrik Galba-e-Islami, is the same outfit, which had
left behind a pamphlet written in Urdu, after suspected
terrorists fatally opened fire on a police picket near
Falaknuma on May 18 last year, killing a home-guard and
injuring a constable.
The shootout at Falaknuma on May 18 last year
coincided with the second anniversary of Mecca Masjid blasts.
CBI, which probing the Mecca Masjid bomb blasts case
had recently indicated that there was a link between the
Ajmer, Mecca Masjid and Malegaon blasts.
Following these developments, some organisations here
have demanded fresh probe into Mecca Masjid blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon