Union Ministers from Andhra Pradesh fight over Hyderabad
New Delhi: Hyderabad was the bone of contention at a meeting union ministers from Seemandhra and Telangana had with the Group of Ministers here on Monday on bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh while another central minister from the state suggested Visakhapatnam as Seemandhra`s capital.
Union Minister for Tribal Welfare V Kishore Chandra Deo, representing Araku Lok Sabha constituency in Seemandhra, opposed any move to make Hyderabad as the "common capital" and urged the GoM to make Visakapatanam the capital of residual Andhra Pradesh.
"What is the purpose of making Hyderabad a common capital after the division? I have made a oral representation with the GoM that Vishakapatnam should be made the capital of Seemandhra region," Deo told PTI.
Deo underlined that the coastal city has good road connectivity with neighbouring states, apart from housing an airport and a seaport.
"Capital cities are not chosen because they are situated in the central part of the state. In fact, capital cities of Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai and Thiruvanathapuram are not located in the centre of the respective states," he noted.
Interestingly, Deo`s signature did not figure in the (memorandum) note presented to the GoM today, though eight other union ministers from Seemandhra region have signed the note which highlighted the reasons against bifurcating Andhra Pradesh.
Asked about the reason, Deo told PTI that he refused to sign the note as he felt the issues were being raked up.
The union ministers from Seemandhra sought Union Territory status for Hyderabad.
"Hyderabad should be made a Union Territory on the lines of Puducherry," Minister of State for Finance JD Seelam told reporters after meeting the GoM.
"One-third of the population in Hyderabad is from Seemandhra region. No city, either in Seemandhra or Telangana region, has grown like Hyderabad. Hyderabad is the proud capital of Telugus," he said.
Union Ministers MM Pallam Raju, Kavuri Samba Siva Rao, K Chiranjeevi, D Purandeswari, Panabaka Lakshmi, Killi Krupa Rani and Kotla Jayasurya Prakash Reddy were the part of the delegation representating Seemandhra region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- This Shiva temple in Pune built by Peshwa Nanasaheb is unique – Details inside
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside
- WATCH: Harbhajan Singh was up against a wrestler...See What Happened Next...
- After NSG setback, India joins Missile Technology Control Regime as full member; China awaits membership