Vizag HPCL refinery fire: Death toll climbs to 9
Visakhapatnam: The death toll in the massive fire at state-run Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) refinery-cum-petrochemical complex here has risen to nine with one more worker succumbing to burn injuries on Monday, a PSU official said.
50-year-old S Sanyasi Rao who was undergoing treatment at the Old Care hospital here died today, the official said.
At present, 34 injured workers are being treated in various corporate hospitals across the city. While four injured have been airlifted to a Mumbai hospital, the official said.
Around half a dozen of them have received more than 70 per cent burns and are said to be in critical condition.
On August 23, the blaze started in the sprawling complex at around 4 pm, killing two workers and injuring several others. A day later, the death toll climbed to eight, including seven workers of private companies and a HPCL employee.
As per preliminary reports, the fire broke out due to blasting of cooling tower due to a short-circuit.
The extent of damage to the refinery-cum-petrochemical complex was still being ascertained.
Union Minister Veerappa Moily, who had visited the site on Saturday, had announced a compensation of Rs 1 crore to family members of the deceased PSU employee Ch Murali and said the contract companies concerned will pay compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the family members of each deceased workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you