Activists seek information about missing woman
Guwahati: Several women activists along with the kin of a 30-year old woman, who allegedly went missing after she left home to meet the police in Sibsagar district, on Wednesday demanded that the police disclose information about her whereabouts.
Majoni Das, a woman activist, teacher, writer from Sibsagar, has gone missing since February 10, after police had summoned her to the office of Sibsagar Superintendent of Police, Bondita Acharya, spokesperson of Women in Governance told reporters here today.
Das, who worked as a warden in a hostel run by Purva Bharati Educational Trust in Jorhat, had come to her parents house in Demow to attend a family function on February 6.
Police had come to their house on February 8 to allegedly hold some discussions but she was not present at that moment and was directed to come to meet the SP in his office, Acharya added. Das went to meet the police on February 10 but has not returned since.
An FIR was later filed by Purbanchal Educational Trust in Jorhat and Das` family members in Demow.
Police claim that Das had joined the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA), a separatist group from Assam, and left for Nagaland and is now on her way to Myanmar.
Acharya further alleged that police was not revealing any information about her and the reason why police wanted her to report to the SP`s office is not clear.
Acharya along with Das` family members urged the police to step up investigation and provide updated information about the probe along with effective protection to her kin.
Besides Acharya, Das`s sister Bharati Hazarika and members of Women Alliance on Violence Against Women were also present during the protest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case