Activists seek information about missing woman
Guwahati: Several women activists along with the kin of a 30-year old woman, who allegedly went missing after she left home to meet the police in Sibsagar district, on Wednesday demanded that the police disclose information about her whereabouts.
Majoni Das, a woman activist, teacher, writer from Sibsagar, has gone missing since February 10, after police had summoned her to the office of Sibsagar Superintendent of Police, Bondita Acharya, spokesperson of Women in Governance told reporters here today.
Das, who worked as a warden in a hostel run by Purva Bharati Educational Trust in Jorhat, had come to her parents house in Demow to attend a family function on February 6.
Police had come to their house on February 8 to allegedly hold some discussions but she was not present at that moment and was directed to come to meet the SP in his office, Acharya added. Das went to meet the police on February 10 but has not returned since.
An FIR was later filed by Purbanchal Educational Trust in Jorhat and Das` family members in Demow.
Police claim that Das had joined the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA), a separatist group from Assam, and left for Nagaland and is now on her way to Myanmar.
Acharya further alleged that police was not revealing any information about her and the reason why police wanted her to report to the SP`s office is not clear.
Acharya along with Das` family members urged the police to step up investigation and provide updated information about the probe along with effective protection to her kin.
Besides Acharya, Das`s sister Bharati Hazarika and members of Women Alliance on Violence Against Women were also present during the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!