Activists seek information about missing woman
Guwahati: Several women activists along with the kin of a 30-year old woman, who allegedly went missing after she left home to meet the police in Sibsagar district, on Wednesday demanded that the police disclose information about her whereabouts.
Majoni Das, a woman activist, teacher, writer from Sibsagar, has gone missing since February 10, after police had summoned her to the office of Sibsagar Superintendent of Police, Bondita Acharya, spokesperson of Women in Governance told reporters here today.
Das, who worked as a warden in a hostel run by Purva Bharati Educational Trust in Jorhat, had come to her parents house in Demow to attend a family function on February 6.
Police had come to their house on February 8 to allegedly hold some discussions but she was not present at that moment and was directed to come to meet the SP in his office, Acharya added. Das went to meet the police on February 10 but has not returned since.
An FIR was later filed by Purbanchal Educational Trust in Jorhat and Das` family members in Demow.
Police claim that Das had joined the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA), a separatist group from Assam, and left for Nagaland and is now on her way to Myanmar.
Acharya further alleged that police was not revealing any information about her and the reason why police wanted her to report to the SP`s office is not clear.
Acharya along with Das` family members urged the police to step up investigation and provide updated information about the probe along with effective protection to her kin.
Besides Acharya, Das`s sister Bharati Hazarika and members of Women Alliance on Violence Against Women were also present during the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters