Assam has asked for CBI probe into border killings: Gogoi
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday said the state government has already written to the union home ministry seeking a CBI probe into the killing of civilians in Sonitpur district Jan 29, 2014.
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday said the state government has already written to the union home ministry seeking a CBI probe into the killing of civilians in Sonitpur district Jan 29, 2014.
The chief minister, however, appealed to the organisations who have been blockading the highways along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border in protest against the killings, to lift the blockade.
"We are coordinating with the Arunachal Pradesh government on the issue of arresting the culprits and they are also taking steps. However, the blockade must be lifted," Gogoi said.
A total of 11 people were killed after unidentified attackers fired indiscriminately at a group of people at Chauldhowa under Behali reserve forest in Sonitpur district of the state bordering Arunachal Pradesh Jan 29 this year.
While 10 people were killed on the spot, one more body was recovered from the area later, taking the toll to 11. Seven people are still missing after the incident.
"We have completed all the formalities with the home ministry to demand a CBI probe and I hope the CBI will take up the investigation," Gogoi said.
"There is a need to set up more border police outposts to stop such incidents. There is also a need to develop road networks along the border areas. We have worked out an action plan to look into the issue," he said.
Referring to the spreading Maoist network in some districts of the state, Gogoi said the government will appeal to the centre for including nine districts under its special assistance scheme for development in the Maoist-affected areas.
"So far, only Tinsukia district had been included under the scheme. The Maoists, Mujahideen and all the other anti-Indian forces have now come together in Assam. So, we must take preventive steps," he said.