Assam women thrash rape accused Congress leader
Assam: While the nation continues to mourn the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim and calls for stringent anti-rape laws have become louder, a senior Congress leader, accused of rape, was beaten up badly by angry women in a remote village in Assam before being arrested.
The Congress leader, identified as Bikram Singh Brahma, was publicly beaten up by angry villagers, particularly women, when he confessed before them of raping a local woman sometimes back in the Bodoland area.
Irked with his confession, a group of women then assaulted, slapped and stripped the Congress leader in full public view.
The visuals of this shocking incident were also aired on local TV news channel.
"People raised an alarm late last night after Congress leader Bikram Singh Brahma allegedly raped a woman at Santipura village and gheraoed him," Chirang Superintendent of Police Kumar Sanjeev Krishna said today.
Brahma, who is the Baksa district Congress Committee chairman and Congress coordinator of Bodoland Territorial Council, was beaten up by men and women who ripped of his clothes.
He was later handed over to the police, the SP said.
Brahma allegedly entered the woman`s house in Shantipur village forcefully at around 2 am and raped her.
It was only when the woman, a mother of two, cried out for help that the villagers reached and rescued her. They caught hold of Brahma and beat him up till the local police reached.
The statement of the rape victim was taken by the police and a case in this regard has been registered against Brahma.
The case comes as an embarrassment for the ruling Congress government in the state and may even cast a shadow on the approaching panchayat elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report