CM orders inquiry by Additional Chief Secretary into `encounter killings`
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday ordered an inquiry into the killing of two teenaged youths in an alleged encounter with security forces which led to a public outcry in Chirang district.
The Chief Minister has directed Additional Chief Secretary V B Pyarelal to conduct the inquiry and submit the report within 30 days, an official release said here today.
The Chirang Deputy Commissioner had already instituted an inquiry into the incident to be conducted by Additional District Magistrate Dasarath Das yesterday.
Security forces claimed that three youths had hurled grenades at a joint team of Army and police at Zaidwongbari under Runikhata police station yesterday.
Two of the youths were killed and the third was critically injured when the forces retaliated.
Local residents claimed that the three boys, all cousins, were not militants and the security forces opened fire upon them while they were sleeping on a haystack in the compound of their house.
Angered by the incident, the irate mob had gheraoed Runikhata police station, pelted stones damaging windows and other office property, besides setting ablaze five motorcycles belonging to the police yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists