Five injured as police open fire during student rally
Kokrajhar: Five persons were injured when police opened fire during a student rally at Basugaon in Assam`s Chirang district on Tuesday where the protesters attacked the men in uniform with stones demanding a separate Kamatapur state.
Though they were denied permission by the district administration to hold the rally, members of the All Koch Rajbongshi Students` Union demanding a separate Kamatapur state and scheduled tribe status for Koch Rajbongshis, began gathering near the venue in morning, police said.
Police prevented the protesters from entering the venue, but they gathered in a field opposite turning a deaf ear to appeals by police to disperse.
The protesters refused to budge and began throwing stones at police, they said.
Police first resorted to lathi-charge and used teargas, but when the protesters did not disperse the cops opened fire.
AKRSU President Hitesh Barman and over 200 others were taken into custody, police said.
Among the five injured, the condition of two was stated to be critical.
Tension prevailed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!